- * To instill in the membership of the church a love for, and an appreciation of the history,
traditions, principles and development of African Methodism by encouraging, motivating, and
educating all lay persons.
* To keep forever alive the sacred memory of Richard Allen, the illustrious founder of the AMEC.
* To advocate respect and loyalty at all times to constituted authority and leadership.
* To encourage the laity to support the total program of the church in the local congregation, in
the community, and throughout the Connection.
* To foster a systematic and regular study of The Doctrine and Discipline of the
African Methodist Episcopal Church and of parliamentary procedure, to the end that greater
knowledge and information may be disseminated among the laity, and with the further purpose of
encouraging lay members to participate more largely in the general functioning and supervision of
the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
* To foster, influence, and support all constructive and progressive legislation for the church that
promotes the teachings of Jesus Christ.
* To encourage development, recognition, and utilization of the most appropriate operational
practices and modern technology in conducting the activities of the African Methodist Episcopal
* To promote the spread of personal evangelism through activities designed to prepare lay
members for appropriately conveying God’s Word.
* To provide training in Christian stewardship, which causes lay members to recognize that the
connotation of stewardship addresses more than giving money.
* To increase the circulation of church periodicals.
* To provide for the orderly and systematic training of lay persons, especially officers, in order that
they might more effectively perform their service responsibilities.
* To promote activities which will result in harmonious fellowship for lay person throughout the
* To help in the support of the AME educational institutions.
* To give financial assistance to the Connectional Lay Economic Development Corporation (CLEDC) in
support of Connectional programs.